Tuesday, March 25, 2014

"As Thomas Edison says…"

Whenever I get frustrated at a failure of mine, (usually in cooking)
my dear, well-meaning husband says, 
"Eden, remember what Thomas Edison said when creating the lightbulb,
I haven't failed 10,000 times, I just found 10,000 ways it won't work.'"

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I'll try again.

---

So meet Happy, an rag doll that has been brewing in my head for 
quite some time, but I put off actually working on her till now.

Last week, while visiting family on spring break,
Little Pip and I had some one on one time,
so I took her to Hobby Lobby, where we searched and bargained 
for the materials I thought I would need to create this idea. 
Then we split a donut at a new little place in Joplin called Sweet Spot.
Their maple cake donut was delicious! Pip loved the red and white booths.


Back to doll, I decided this week to make this project a priority 
since the house was fairly clean and laundry was fairly caught up.
I made templates for the body, arms, and legs,
washed, iron, and cut the fabric.
Then I colored her hair, face, dress and shoes,


Her back was just a fun print fabric.
Today, I sewed and sewed, 
felt sweaty and teared up, 
sipped tea (to help me calm down)
sewed, and muttered, and sewed.
 I am pretty proud of this prototype.






Somethings didn't work out like I wanted,
somethings rubbed off, one leg is a bit longer than the other,
and her head is a little lumpy.
But as I showed her to my older daughters, they said,
"She's so beautiful!"
"Mom, you did a great job!"
"Can we play with her?"
And that felt great.
Then I remembered what my husband says that Edison said,
(good one hun!)
and I am super excited to get back to work, 
figure out the tweaks and changes I need to make 
so she can look better and be a little bit easier to sew.

I'll try again.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.

The most certain way to succeed

 is always to try just one more time.

--Thomas Edison 
(quote found here)


    

No comments:

Post a Comment